Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Ongoing Comparison Between Version Control Systems

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Ongoing Comparison Between Version Control Systems
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 11:42:55 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Shlomi Fish <address@hidden>

    > The audience is the people who wish to compare various systems to decide
    > with which one to work. Or to see how their favourite system rounds up
    > against the competition.
    >
    > > The set of questions in the comparison are kind of strange.  I don't
    > > see, implied by the particular questions, either sufficient or
    > > necessary conditions for the system I'd want to use -- but I suppose
    > > that depends on who's asking and what their goals are.  Are you
    > > interested in the meta-question: what's the right way to compare
    > > revision control systems?  About who typically makes those decisions
    > > and what they base their decisions on?  or what they _should_ base
    > > their decisions on?  About who is impacted by those decisions and how?

    > I'm interested in any suggestions to new categories for comparison. The
    > more, the better.

Perhaps there's a better way to compare than via a list of questions.

For example, you might try to come up with a set of realistic use
cases,  project lifecycles for various kinds of projects and various
kinds of contexts, and then go through how each system would address
these and what issues might come up and how they might be resolved.

Then, in the end, perhaps that kind of analysis will suggest a small
set of questions that are key points of comparison.