Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Ongoing Comparison Between Version Control Systems

From: Mark A. Flacy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Ongoing Comparison Between Version Control Systems
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 00:10:05 -0500

>>>>> "Shlomi" == Shlomi Fish <address@hidden> writes:
Shlomi> Shlomi> On Sun, 7 Sep 2003, Mark A. Flacy wrote:

>> I'm curious why you assert that CVS supports file copies while Arch
>> doesn't.

Shlomi>
Shlomi> CVS does not support file copies at the repository
Shlomi> level. Subversion does.

Then update your web page accordingly, which states otherwise for CVS.

Shlomi>
>> For that matter, what semantic value is there for maintaining a "history"
>> of a clone of a file?  It's a new file with a new purpose.

Shlomi>
Shlomi> For merging and for tracking changes to previous versions of the
Shlomi> file?

There are no previous versions of the copy of the file.  It is a new file.
You are tracking nothing.

Shlomi> It's also less resource-hungry, time-consuming and space-consuming.

And less sense-consuming too.

--
 Mark A. Flacy
 Any opinions expressed above are my own.  Any facts expressed above