Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Ongoing Comparison Between Version Control Systems

From: Momchil Velikov
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Ongoing Comparison Between Version Control Systems
Date: 08 Sep 2003 16:08:41 +0300

>>>>> "Peter" == Peter Conrad <address@hidden> writes:

Peter> Hi,
Peter> On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 10:24:45AM +0200, Jonas Diemer wrote:
>> On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 07:58:24 +0300 (IDT)
>> Shlomi Fish <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> > For merging and for tracking changes to previous versions of the file?
>> > It's also less resource-hungry, time-consuming and space-consuming.
>> I believe you are thinking to subversionish now... I would suggest you
>> choose your categories a bit differently, comparing revision control
>> tasks rather than technical stuff... In a software developers mind
>> (using a scm) copying files at the repository level doesn't make any
>> sense,

Peter> I believe that is wrong. It has been suggested that in order to split up
Peter> a project tree into multiple subprojects the project be "copied" by
Peter> creating multiple branches and pruning those to contain only the desired
Peter> part of the tree.

Peter> The same can make sense at a file level: think of splitting up a large
Peter> piece of documentation into multiple per-chapter files. Or re-factoring
Peter> a large source file into smaller modules.

  But this is MOVING and not COPYING, because you don't end up with
two identical files/directories in the same revision.

Peter> It *can* make sense, so don't try to define the problem away.

  I think you just love your hammer :)

~velco