Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: script to convert set of dirs into arch repo

From: Aspect
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: script to convert set of dirs into arch repo
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 13:16:43 +1000

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 11:06:18AM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
> Zack Brown <address@hidden> writes:
> > Has anyone written a script to convert a set of directories, each
> > representing one version of a project, into an arch repo? ideally it
> > would also be possible to run the same script on additional
> > directories later on, and have them add future versions of the same
> > project to that repo.
>
> My impression from earlier conversations on this list is that the
> easiest way is to:
>
>  (1) Import the first directory, and get an arch project tree.
>
>  (2) For each subsequent directory, compute a diff against the previous
>      one, apply it to the project tree using patch, and commit the
>      project tree.  You may need to fiddle with file id-tags after
>      running patch and before committing (you can use my tla-update-tags
>      script :-).

I'm in a similar situation of needing to import archives like this .. but
using huge trees (one is a complete installable filesystem image) so `diff`
isn't much of an option for me. Besides, I want to version permissions changes
between the trees.

(WARNING - arch newbie - the following may read like a horror story to others)

What presently seems the best way to do this is:

cd project-0.1
  tla make-category project
  tla make-branch project--mainline
  tla make-version project--mainline--0.1
  tla init-tree project--mainline--0.1
  vi `tla make-log`
  tla tagging-method implicit   # YMMV - use tree-lint to fix tagging properly
  tla import
  tla commit
cd ..

# prepare for a new version
 tla make-version project--mainline--0.2
 tla project--mainline--0.2 project--mainline--0.1

# here comes the dirty hack:
 cd 0.2
  tla get project--mainline--0.2 .
  mv {arch} ../project-0.2
 cd ../project-0.2
  vi `tla make-log`
  tla tree-lint
  tla commit

... this appears to have worked on some small test trees .. is it even
remotely safe??