Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Vim arch repository.

From: Tobias C. Rittweiler
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Vim arch repository.
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 07:58:42 +0200

On Friday, September 12, 2003 at 5:17:14 AM,
    David Brown <address@hidden> wrote:

> All of the talk about the Linux tree got me thinking.
>
> Currently, I maintain the vim CVS tree on sourceforge.  At this point, I
> think I'd also like to put some of vim's history into arch, and now that
> I have moderate connectivity (not fast, but exportable), I would
> consider putting a vim arch repository up.

Hey, what an occassion! I'm gonna track down some bugs I'm fiddling with
at the weekend, I think. An arch archive would be _really_ great!

> So, what about names :-)
>
> A category of vim makes sense.
>
> [...]
> Bram then has a series of 2 point version releases.  There are snapshots
> of old version (pick and choose), and all of the files from 5.0, 5.1,
> ... up to the current 6.2.
>
> For each point release, there are a series of patch releases, 6.1.001,
> 6.1.002, 6.1.003, and so on.
>
> Right before a movement to a new release, there are a series of
> pre-releases  6.1a, 6.1b, 6.1c, until 6.1 is releases.

If we have 6.1a and development continues, will the patch releases start
from 0, e.g. 6.1a.001, 6.1a.002... ? Or is 6.1a just a tag to some patch
release and the actual development goes on on 6.1 (so new 6.1.XXX patch
releases are created).

If the former, I'd update the version of the branch, if the latter I'd
just create tags.

> Here are my ideas for branch and versions.
>
> vim--bram--6.2  would be the released 6.2.  Patch 6.2.035 would be
> vim--bram--6.2--patch-35.

I think this reflects vim's development best.

Thank you very much in advance for providing such a facility.

-- tcr (address@hidden)  ``Ho chresim'eidos uch ho poll'eidos sophos''