[Gnu-arch-users] SFTP locations

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] SFTP locations
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 20:53:00 +0900

How do you register an SFTP location?  AFAICT this is not a Protocol 1
vs Protocol 2 problem, I've got both ends configured to use Protocol 2.

The intuitive form for an sftp URL is

sftp://address@hidden/path-part

where the "user@" part is optional.  This doesn't get anywhere for me
as a tla archive location; once registered, when I attempt to access
that archive tla just complains about "Error reading from server".
This is unsurprising, given that sftp also issues its usage message.

OTOH, if I use the hybrid

sftp://address@hidden:/path-part

as suggested on the wiki in ArchHosting, I get "ssh: domain::
Temporary failure in name resolution" (note the doubled colon in the
error---obviously tla or sftp is passing "domain:" as the name to
resolve).

tla--devo--1.1, updated today.
ii  ssh            3.6.1p2-6      Secure rlogin/rsh/rcp replacement (OpenSSH)