Re: [Gnu-arch-users] SFTP locations

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] SFTP locations
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 23:11:13 +0900

    duchier> "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden> writes:

    >> How do you register an SFTP location?  AFAICT this is not a
    >> Protocol 1 vs Protocol 2 problem, I've got both ends configured
    >> to use Protocol 2.

    duchier> The only issue that I had was with the protocol issue.
    duchier> Are you sure that a connection actually succeeds with
    duchier> protocol 2?

ARggh.  No, I'm not getting protocol 2.  It's the damn
order-dependency in .ssh/config; I have a long config file and I've
been looking at the host-specific config.  But I had a "Protocol 1" at
the top, where I wasn't looking.  :-(.

Remove that and everything works.  I now have (in theory, must test) a
publically available archive.

    robin> If you receive a usage error message from sftp, then I
    robin> guess your ssh version might cause the problem. This would
    robin> be bad since it would mean that backward compatibility in
    robin> command line syntax is not preserved between minor
    robin> versions.

No, that can't be right; all this is happening at the ssh protocol
level.  (tla/libarch/pfs-sftp.c doesn't invoke sftp(1), instead it
uses "ssh -s $HOST sftp".)  The usage message is coming from the other
side.  I think this is safe.

I wonder if the answer to Jonathan Walters's question might not be in
the "command" option in the authorized_keys file; use
/usr/lib/sftp-server there?  Cf sshd_config(5).