Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla1.1 plans

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla1.1 plans
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 12:18:51 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>

    > On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 09:39:23AM -0700, Tom Lord wrote:
    > >         *) CLI improvements

    > I have a few more things I'd like to change as well.

Is the "sometime in October" timing a problem?

    > >         *) =tagging-method generalization

    > >            I am beginning to think that the "full plan" in src/tla/=TODO
    > >            is excessive -- the recently added `untagged-source'
    > >            directive may be quite sufficient.   Therefore, I'm leaning
    > >            towards not implementing the full plan for 1.1.

    > How does this relate to support for using directory-context in
    > =tagging-methods, i.e., so a regexp can match FOO in one
    > directory, but not another?  That _is_ something I'd really like
    > to see.

I'm slightly nervous about that stuff, actually.

Implmented naively, it's going to slow-down inventories noticably on
trees that use it.   (And slowing down inventories impacts everything
else, just about.)

Implemented to be fast -- well, that's just plain hard.

So there's a cost/benefit question here and what I'm wondering (and
taking as a hypothesis) is that the untagged-source foo is ample here.

But good examples of why I'm wrong with that hypothesis are welcome,
of course.