Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Ruminations on Arch Desiderata

From: Florian Weimer
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Ruminations on Arch Desiderata
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 22:10:00 +0200

Paul Snively <address@hidden> writes:

> Finally, I'm very excited about the opportunities afforded by
> <http://www.dns-sd.org>, the dynamic service discovery system that is
> part of the IETF ZeroConf standard and which Apple includes with Mac
> OS X 10.2 and later under the name "Rendezvous."

There was some discussion on this previously.  I did some research,
and it appears that the service discovery mechanism currently
standardized by the IETF do not fulfill the needs of GNU arch, due to
its multi-protocol support.  Maybe DNS-SD/Rendezvous is better in this
regard, I haven't looked at it.

Anyway, I think it's premature to standardize a naming/directory
service for arch archives at the moment.  At least for me, the most
relevant usage patterns are not yet clear enough.  Some more
experience in this area should enable us to come up with better
requirements.