Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Ruminations on Arch Desiderata

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Ruminations on Arch Desiderata
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 21:18:22 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Paul Snively <address@hidden>

    > Good points. My understanding was that arch would not attempt to
    > diff/patch a binary file.

Which a mime-encoded file is not.  A large part of the point of MIME,
really.

There is a feature idea that floats around on the back burner for
making it possible to declare a particular file to be of some specific
(non-diff-patchable) type.....

    > > The use case involved people arriving at a conference which hosted a
    > > wireless lan and wanting to "hook in" quickly and easily to all of the
    > > arch archives on that lan.  I would expect a pragmatic solution to
    > > such a problem would involve something like a 5 line shell script, a
    > > README file, a white-board near the registration desk, and a public
    > > FTP site on the lan at a well-known address (well-known via the
    > > whiteboard, of course).   Perhaps there would be a wiki.

    > > Never understimate the power of a dry-erase marker.

    > I find it impossible to take this seriously. Perhaps you'd care to try
    > again, this time offering an alternative automated solution? Using a
    > computer?

And, perhaps not.  I try to avoid visiting castles in the sky.

    > Let me point out again that there's at least one CVS server
    > implementation that registers itself with DNS-SD,

So?