Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [ANNOUNCE] tlator-0.1 initial release

From: Mark A. Flacy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [ANNOUNCE] tlator-0.1 initial release
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 08:07:13 -0500

>>>>> "Paul" == Paul Hedderly <address@hidden> writes:
Paul>
Paul> On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 10:02:55PM -0500, Mark A. Flacy wrote:

>> Bugs remaining:
>>
>> - build hopelessly broken on anything other than the version of Debian
>> used by the author. (OK, that's hyperbole.  It's certainly broken with
>> "GNU Make 3.80" )
>>
>> - no information from the make file to tell what version of ANYTHING that
>> is required to build tlator.
>>
>> - no information in ANY OTHER FILE in the tarball to tell victims what
>> versions of tools are required to build tlator.
>>
>> These are old problems, solved by automake and autoconf a long, long, long
>> time ago.  For crying out loud, could you at least provide the 3rd bullet
>> in your next release?
>>
>> Sheesh.
Paul>
Paul> Mark, I understand your frustration, and I would also understand the
Paul> tone of your mail... if you were paying for this software. I would
Paul> rather have seen a "thankyou for the code, but there are some problems
Paul> which could be solved with the autol* tools such as ..."

I see.  You wanted me to say "Thank you for the code that I cannot compile
upon my system.  Thank you for not providing any information in the code to
tell me what I would need to compile the code on any system, much less my
own.  Thank you for requesting my time and effort to evaluate your software
without the providing the least amount of effort to indicate to me the
tools required to do so.  Thank you for reinforcing the concept in some
people's minds (not my own) that Open Source software is written by
amateurs for amateurs."

Yes, I can do that.

Paul>
Paul> With Open Source we have to treat each other with respect - not
Paul> demands.

Your concept of respect is markedly different from mine.

--
 Mark A. Flacy
 Any opinions expressed above are my own.  Any facts expressed above