Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [ANNOUNCE] tlator-0.1 initial release

From: Robert Anderson
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [ANNOUNCE] tlator-0.1 initial release
Date: 17 Sep 2003 08:22:50 -0700

On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 07:38, MJ Ray wrote:
> On 2003-09-17 14:07:13 +0100 Mark A. Flacy <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I see.  You wanted me to say "Thank you for the code that I cannot
> > compile
> > upon my system.  Thank you for not providing any information in the
> > code to
> [...]
> > people's minds (not my own) that Open Source software is written by
> > amateurs for amateurs."
> > Yes, I can do that.
>
> I am unhappy about this trolling.  Even though we have wildly
> different views on a range of topics, this list is normally civil.
>
> Some of this thread seems to be missing the point: has Mark tried
> upgrading to avoid the bug in old versions of Make?  After all, the
> author is trying to follow best practice in the use of Make and using
> auto* tools would not cure a buggy Make.  What would auto* tools give
> to it that writing a good README wouldn't?

While I remain neutral on the trolling, I don't think that's a
reasonable assessment.  I understood that the very latest GNU version of
make, 3.80, did NOT work (and all previous versions of GNU make as
well).  Only a recent debian version worked.  automake would indeed not
have led to this problem.

Not that I think the conclusion should be "everyone has to use
automake."

Bob