Re: merge algorithms (Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: -L option for tag?)

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: merge algorithms (Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: -L option for tag?)
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 07:47:59 +1000

On Sun, 2003-09-21 at 03:04, Doran Moppert wrote:

> A non-deterministic merge scares the hell out of me though.

Taken out of context, surely. But if it's simply non deterministic
selection of a lower level tool to use, the merge won't be
non-deterministic within the behaviour of that lower level tool.
Secondly, it hasn't been show that AI will be needed to achieve some
more abstracted merging commands.

-- I've never suggested an all singing, all dancing, magic merge tool.

It's a -big- problem space. If we can't further partition it, and
further automate various processes within it, I'll be amazed.

Rob