Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: -L option for tag?

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: -L option for tag?
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 10:42:06 +1000

On Sat, 2003-09-20 at 10:27, Tom Lord wrote:

> As a vague sort of suggestion:  the design space of "merge operators"
> is huge.   Really, really, huge.   and there's no single one, as far
> as I can tell, that always does The Right Thing -- it's more like you
> have a toolbox of merge operators and have to have the skill to pick
> out the one you want.    So:  if you want something that resembles
> replay but differs in some ways -- well, that's how we got
> `--skip-present', for example.

That reminds me, I was describing the potential evolution of merging
commands on IRC a few days ago...

As we get a good selection of low level merge tools, I think we will be
able to start describing algorithms for choosing amongst those tools at
a given merge point, and from there start to build higher layer 'magic
tools'.

Rob