Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: {arch} directory

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: {arch} directory
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:11:55 +0900

    MJ> In general, fine, but arch already declares some characters
    MJ> off-limits itself.  As far as I know, I can't use letters like
    MJ> ĉ in it.

That's not particularly interesting.  It's easily "fixed" by simply
removing the limitation, and converting all text (file names and file
contents) to UTF-8.  The reason for being conservative here is that
people will insist on encoding ĉ as something other than 0xC4 0x89
(for example, you just did, and I copied it), and then they'll
complain when arch gives them back exactly what they gave it.  The
question is how to defend arch from the slings and arrows of unjust
lusers, and maybe even save said lusers' lower extremities.

The only interesting restrictions are on ASCII characters, namely, the
space.  (Which is a bloody stupid thing to have in a file name; all
the systems that support that also know about NO-BREAK SPACE.)