Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: {arch} directory

From: Mark A. Flacy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: {arch} directory
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 10:23:55 -0500

>>>>> "Stephen" == Stephen J Turnbull <address@hidden> writes:
Stephen>
>>>>> "Jason" == Jason McCarty <address@hidden> writes:
Jason> Bah, space is a perfectly acceptable character in
Jason> filenames.
Stephen>
Stephen> That's simply false.  Even on systems that provide for it, there
Stephen> are many contexts where things break; for example, constructs like
Stephen> "less `which baseball.bat`" will necessarily fail if
Stephen> 'baseball.bat' lives in 'C:\Program Files'.  Now suppose
Stephen> 'baseball.bat' lives in 'C:\Program&nbsp;Files'.  You and the
Stephen> shell can both Just DTRT.  No?

Even better:  if a space is a perfectly acceptable character in a filename,
then it is a perfectly acceptable *trailing* character of a filename.  In
fact, why not have many trailing spaces?  Heh.

--
 Mark A. Flacy
 Any opinions expressed above are my own.  Any facts expressed above