Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: {arch} directory

From: Robert Anderson
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: {arch} directory
Date: 26 Sep 2003 21:32:54 -0700

On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 21:06, Dustin Sallings wrote:

> On Friday, Sep 26, 2003, at 20:53 US/Pacific, Robert Collins wrote:
>
> > Bull.
> >
> > hiding "." files is a convention of your file dir lister.
> >
> > Your argument to change {arch} to be 'hidden' applies equally to your
> > ls
> > command - why not just teach it to hide '{arch}'. No more SOL.
>
>       This is wrong.  It's directory listing, command completion, globbing
> (I use one shell for scripting, another for interactive use) and
> probably more stuff I'm not thinking of (any languages that support
> their own globbing would need to be revised, for example).  Some GUI
> tools (such as my Mac's finder) that has a concept of hidden
> directories can be told to hide a specific directory, but some cannot.

Dustin?  With all due respect: get over it.  The balance of tradeoffs
here even in the most optimistic view of your opinion are nowhere near
worth this much wrangling.  There's not a single person here capable and
willing of working this all the way through who agrees with you.  So
either go do that and come back with a prototype, or let's move on to
the next issue.

Bob