Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: {arch} directory

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: {arch} directory
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 13:34:14 -0700

On Friday, Sep 26, 2003, at 11:11 US/Pacific, Tom Lord wrote:

I'm not going to try to give you a justification about it in this
message.  For the purposes of _this_ discussion, we could just assume
that it's an arbitrary choice, sure to please some and bother others
-- in a design area where any hard-coded choice would be roughly
equally arbitrary and pleasing-to-some yet annoying-to-others.

Your message does a very good job of illustrating why it would be difficult to migrate from the current model to a variable model, although I disagree with the parts regarding dealing with other people's working directories.

Personally, I don't think there's a problem having this hard-coded path. I realize I'm a bit late, bit I'm questioning the choice. The current choice has side-effects that are not at all related to its purpose. Using a hidden name would make some of these side-effects go away.

If the name is hidden, the people who want these side-effects can accomplish what the want a different way.

If the name is not hidden, people who don't want the side-effects are SOL.

--
Dustin Sallings