Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 16:05:18 +1000

Just a couple of points I'd like to highlight...

On Sat, 2003-09-27 at 11:43, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> So I just ask tla to go in 'strict-commit-mode' in ~/.arch... and it'll
> just stop me asking for what tag mode I prefer. It'll just autotag
> everything with unique id etc.. IMHO this is a much better default than
> the current one, but that's just my opinion ;). Being strict is much
> more reliable to avoid merging garbage into a commit.

I'm not 100% what you mean by strict-commit-mode, but 'explicit'
tagging, which is the default, operates like CVS: every file and dir has
to be added via 'tla add'. Likewise for deletes and renames.

> Of course after the commits are stricts the -j -u options and similar
> can go away, since the inventory will know for sure what's "known" and
> not "junk".

in {arch}/\=tagging-method, uncomment the line "untagged-source
pristine". This will make untagged stuff be treated as 'preserve this
but don't put into the archive'.

> > Your observations about having to abandon `dontdiff' illustrate that
> > the process currently used is horked.
>
> it's not that simple. Lots of files are autogenerated. You can have an
> arch that needs a new autogenerated file. This one will be only known
> by make distclean (after the developer remebers to add it the first time
> his diff is screwed or similar)
>
> basically every project where source files are often autogenerated
> you'll run into the same problem. You will need a 'dontdiff' again.

No. The regex's in arch are part of the project: they are versioned,
diffable, modifieable. The user that needs to allow a new file to be
autogenerated will modify their local junk regex. OR, a recent discussed
development allowing per-directory regex's similar to .cvsignore would
allow local overriding of the global project regex's to meet such
demands. Even in explict tagging mode you can get benefits from the
audit facility of tree-lint, as it can tell you of local exceptions,
which you then add to make distclean...

> Again, this is about forgetting to add these new .h autogenerated files
> to the dontdiff too.
>
> It's not about coding standard, it's about generating a new file, and
> because you're developing fast and the thing works you checking without
> updating the make distclean. That's a bug too, and this way you can
> catch it before the file is propagated.

Yes - and thats why running with a fully setup inventory, in tagline or
explicit mode with 'untagged source unrecognized' which would prevent
checkins with those files. Then that fast developer would add a local
override in that directory, AND make distclean (because they would do
both at the same time).

> I'm perfectly fine to have everything optional, I'm not trying to force
> the strict mode on anyone, however I do believe the strict model to be
> superior because safer. Adding file is so rare, that doing a few tla add
> shouldn't be really a problem.

I'm a very heavy user of 'explict' tagging, which approximates what you
are proposing with 'strict-mode'. AFAICT what you want to achieve by
strict-mode is orthogonal to the use of taglines or explicit tags, and
is really a tree auditing issue that arch -can- help with.

Rob