Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: Charles Duffy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 02:25:09 -0500

On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 20:43, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> it's not that simple. Lots of files are autogenerated. You can have an
> arch that needs a new autogenerated file. This one will be only known
> by make distclean (after the developer remebers to add it the first time
> his diff is screwed or similar)
>
> basically every project where source files are often autogenerated
> you'll run into the same problem. You will need a 'dontdiff' again.

...unless you have a convention that autogenerated filenames much have
some particular prefix, and have *one* regex to match that.

That way, there's no more maintaining a dontdiff -- just *one*
convention, and as long as it gets followed, the problem goes away.

If you run a 'tla what-changed' and it shows any files that *aren't*
actually source (ie. which are generated files) as being added, that
means you didn't use a filename matching the regex, so you know to go
back and fix it.

(This is, I'm quite positive, what Tom was trying to suggest pre the
slow-down-cowboy bit).