Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 21:34:32 +1000

On Sat, 2003-09-27 at 21:28, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> I see, so this is implementing a strict commit by simply depending on
> files that have an explicit tag, this sounds great. That's basically all
> I needed. Many thanks! (I very much hope those options wheren't in the
> pre4 docs, or I overlooked or misunderstood them sorry)

modulo the untagged-source directive, this has been much the same from
day 1 ;). BUT: it's one of those things that if you know where to look,
it's easy, otherwise it's quite opaque what to prod to make X change.

> so it sounds like the only difference between this and the strict commit
> I had in mind, is that the import automatically should explicit tag all
> the files, maybe there's already a way to tweak that too (certainly it
> can be scripted and the import aren't frequent so it's not a big deal)

Given that all your source matches the source regex, and you've nothing
in the tree that looks like source but isn't.(i.e. you've run make
distclean and removed any >foo.c files ;))

tla init-tree <archive/category--branch--version>
<edit the tagging-method file as I suggested>
tla inventory --source --both | xargs tla add
tla what-changed (review output)
tla import -s

is a condensed recipe.

Note you only have to do this once - on your first kernel import. From
there on in, you can tag and tweak (and I really suggest that) - perhaps
using loaddirs to automate it. tagging will keep the unique id's the
same for the same files, allowing the good merge logic to work.

Rob