Re: [Gnu-arch-users] recent changes in address@hidden, and star-merge an

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] recent changes in address@hidden, and star-merge and update/replay defaults
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 10:14:53 +1100

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 09:47, Colin Walters wrote:

> Of these, I want to talk about patch-49 a bit.  Let me give the
> archive-log:
>
> ----
> This allows you to just specify an archive to merge from, as in:
> tla star-merge -A address@hidden
> In other words, if `tla tree-version` returns
> address@hidden/bla--mainline--1.3, then the star-merge expands
> to tla star-merge address@hidden/bla--mainline--1.3.
> ----

That seems reasonable.

> I'd actually like to go a bit farther, and have just "tla star-merge"
> default to star-merging from the last fully-qualified revision you
> tagged from.  This again captures the most common star configuration.
>
> Thoughts on that?

star-merge with no parameters? Yeah, could work.

> And now for a more controversial change I'd like to make: Have
> update/replay default to crossing branch versions.  An explanation:
> Suppose that I have this archive:
> address@hidden
>   rhythmbox
>     rhythmbox--mainline
>
>       rhythmbox--mainline--0.5
>         base-0 .. patch-3
>
>       rhythmbox--mainline--0.6
>         base-0 .. patch-271
>
> A user does 'tla get address@hidden/rhythmbox'.  They
> naturally get rhythmbox--mainline--0.6.  However, suppose later I create
> a --0.7 version.  What I want to happen is when the user types 'tla
> replay', it should notice that there's a new version, and do the tla
> set-tree-version trick automatically.

No, I don't like this. Thats no longer the same line of development.

>   In order to get the old behavior,
> you have to say 'tla replay --exact' (or something, suggestions for a
> better commandline option name are appreciated).
>
> This way tla behaves very similar to how CVS does; a user can just check
> out --mainline (HEAD), and stay current just by using 'tla update' or
> 'tla replay'.

To me, this is a config management issue, and easily solved there:

have a branch- say address@hidden/rhythmbox--dists--1.0
which contains
configs/rhythmbox/mainline
configs/rhythmbox/mainline-0.5
configs/rhythmbox/mainline-0.6

where mainline is a symlink to -0.6.

and 0.6 contains:
./rhythmbox address@hidden/rhythmbox--mainline--0.6

so a config iteration will update against the correct named version
$ tla catcfg configs/rhythmbox/mainline | xargs -n2 | tla replay -d

Now sure, a little scripting to make this transparent to the user may be
in order. But it's definately not a core tla thing as far as I am
concerned.

Rob