Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: not everyone likes implicit shortcuts

From: zander
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: not everyone likes implicit shortcuts
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 21:51:13 +0100

On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 09:15:41PM +0100, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 06:47, address@hidden wrote:
> > The shortcuts and aliases have to be part of tla if that problem is to be
> > solved.
>
> I disagree.
[bigsnip]
> Whats so wrong about this instead?:
> * Grab a binary of 'arch-tools'
> * Ditto for tla.

I'm getting the impression that my sentence 'part of tla' came out as; 'part
of the tla executable'
It was meant to be part of the tla package; using the idea mentioned before
that external scripts in a specific dir can be provided to do things like
    tla import-tree
means a script is executed that does a:
    find . -exec tla add "{}" ';'
    tla import
or similar..

If you combine your new package arch-tools with the package 'tla', we're
set.

> I get the impression that the expected introduction to tla for a project
> is something like this:
> * Download tla from <here>.
> * Compile via these instructions <here>.
> * Install via make install.

I use tla to program java, what makes you assume I can compile a C
application, or even configure bash?
What is easy for you is not easy for all those people out there; and I have
met loads of those people, so I know :}

> {
> * Follow the Tutorial to learn it.
> * Now branch off my archive
> -or-
> * Follow these pre-canned steps to get the projects sources
> }

Right, this is already being done, take a look at (for example):
http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=59493

> Whats so wrong about this instead?:
[snip example stuff to go in ~/.arch-params]

The mere fact that it is not default means someone has to create it, there
is no 'someone' that _can_ create it in many of the projects that I think
tla would work mighty fine for.
For example: Why does everyone always say that Windows does not have virtual
desktops, or tab-extension in the CLI ?
There certainly are ways to get it on there; but by default it is not there
and the extra steps are just not going to be taken by the majority of users
out there.

I spoke with a PhotoShop user last week and asked her why she did not use
the keyboard shortcut for undo/redo. Her answer was that it was different on
her machine at home (it turned out to be configurable) I argued that since
this was 'her' machine at work she was free to alter it, but in the end she
did not.
This is normal behavior.  Sorry.

So, I repeat myself;  if it is not part of the default tla-installation the
users are not going to use it, and it will not solve the problem to make the
learning curve for tla less-steep.

--
Thomas Zander