Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: not everyone likes implicit shortcuts

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: not everyone likes implicit shortcuts
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 08:08:43 +1100

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 07:51, address@hidden wrote:
[snip]

re: java - I didn't assume anything, thats I put in a reference to
instructions on how to do it. Our hypothetical user had better be able
to follow instructions and use a command line, or they are way out of
depth before tla enters the picture.

> So, I repeat myself;  if it is not part of the default tla-installation the
> users are not going to use it, and it will not solve the problem to make the
> learning curve for tla less-steep.

There is a big difference here:
photoshop and windows are both proprietary retail products. Microsoft
don't distribute photoshop, and vice versa. YOU could distribute
overarch and tla in one tarball.

Anyone who hears about tla - website, word of mouth etc, can have
detailed installation instructions provided to them - including the
addition of whatever addons are needed.

As the stuff in ~/.arch-params, I thought the context I placed it in
would make it clear that that was *project specific*. That is, that
unless tla includes metadata for every project in existence, you will
need to customise the install for each project.

Rob