RE: [Gnu-arch-users] Arch On Cygwin(Win32)

From: Karel Gardas
Subject: RE: [Gnu-arch-users] Arch On Cygwin(Win32)
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 10:12:28 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Parker, Ron wrote:

> [...]

Folks, I'm not win32 programmer nor user! I'm just poor Unix
user/developer who is pressed by Win32 programmers screaming for TLA not
available on Windows. :-)

As I have told to Robert on IIRC. My only experience with the long
path/short path support in Windows & Cygwin is that I took tarbal of
compessed `larch get mico--devel--2.3` and tries to:

1) tar -xf mico--devel--2.3 on windows with tar.exe => everything unpacked
even w/ long paths

2) do the same but inside Cygwin environment and tar badly complained
about too long paths

So my idea was: heck if native win32 tar supports long paths, then TLA
might be even ported to the native windows.

Anyway, I perfectly agree that fixing Cygwin is the best spent time in the
attempt to get TLA running on Windows in any way and so I'm very glad and
I very appreciate that you two are working toward this goal!

Thanks a lot,

Karel
--
Karel Gardas                  address@hidden