Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Arch On Cygwin(Win32)

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Arch On Cygwin(Win32)
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 20:12:14 +1100

On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 20:06, John Kinson wrote:
> If, however, Cygwin is extended to support long paths, then are you in a
> position to roll the changes into an official Cygwin distribution?

Yes, I'm a committer in the cygwin project. And while I'm not very
active there these days due to lack of time, I'm in active discussions
with the more active commiters (Chris and Corinna) to get the code
architecture agreed on and then committed. We're currently waiting on a
copyright assignment from Ron for his part of the code, before anything
can move forward further.

> Would Cygwin be willing to accept such a change (with all the testing
> and support issues that come with it)?

Yes, in fact we've been wanting it for ages, just no one has had time to
scratch the itch.

> If not, then arch will still face the significant obstacle of requiring
> a specially patched version of Cygwin in order to run.

Wouldn't work: we'd need a full distribution (or at least replacement
tar et al packages). Simply fixing the .dll will allow the changes to
roll forward via recompiles.

Rob