[Gnu-arch-users] Portability of archives?

From: Samuel A. Falvo II
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Portability of archives?
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 22:14:20 -0800

Suppose I start a project on Savannah, but instead of using CVS, I want
to use arch.  But further suppose I don't wish to compile arch on gnu's
servers; I doubt they'd like people doing that anyway.

What I'm thinking is, I have an archive on my local PC.  Whenever I want
to publish the latest snapshot, I can execute something like this:

  $ cd ~/{archives}
  $ tar czf snapshot.tar.gz address@hidden/*
  $ scp snapshot.tar.gz address@hidden:/home/username/public_html

Then, to unpack it on the webserving machine,

  $ cd public_html
  $ rm -rf address@hidden
  $ tar xzf snapshot.tar.gz ; rm snapshot.tar.gz

Would this work to offer a read-only archive?

Then, as my co-conspirators work on their own local repositories, I can
star-merge them on my own box, and then repeat the process above to make
them public.

Or, would I have to compile arch on the remote box (Savannah's box), and
perform remote tagging?

Ideas?

--
Samuel A. Falvo II