Re: [Gnu-arch-users] decoupling pfs/archive-pfs and the archive format

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] decoupling pfs/archive-pfs and the archive format
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 10:46:34 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Johannes Berg <address@hidden>

    > I've been looking through the code in archive-pfs, archive-version and
    > the like because I wanted to implement a new archive format that is
    > accessed over pfs just like the old one.

I gather that you want to make an archive format which is based on a
dumb-fs transport (hence, uses the pfs layer) but which is not the
same as the current dumb-fs format (hence, does _not_ use the
archive-pfs layer).   Is that correct?

    > So I was thinking it might be desirable to have tla based on the
    > ".archive-version" file which archive-XY layer to use.

Oh, please no.  At least not yet.  Instead, just make up some new URI
methods.  So, instead of

        sftp:.....

use:

        johannes-arch-sftp:.....

or something similar.

Later, if the new format proves to be a win, we can explore how to
integrate it with archive-pfs.

-t

----

Like my work on GNU arch, Pika Scheme, and other technical contributions
to the public sphere?   Show your support!

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=lord%40emf.net&item_name=support+for+arch+and+other+free+software+efforts+by+tom+lord&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD

and

address@hidden for www.moneybookers.com payments.