Re: [Gnu-arch-users] fedora core 2 will include subversion (and not gnu

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] fedora core 2 will include subversion (and not gnu arch)
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 15:58:31 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Colin Walters <address@hidden>

    > On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 22:37, Tom Lord wrote:

    > > Who gives a flying fuck about fedora? =20

    > Can't we keep this list focused on the development of the arch revision
    > control system?

I have two separate answers:

1st: I hope not -- not in any narrow sense.  The occaisional "off
topic" stuff is a Good Thing.  Arch is, as much as anything, both a
technology enabling community in significant new ways and a sharp
divergence from the style of technology generally recognized as
interesting or important by the trade press.  The off-topic funkiness
helps to build the kinds of _broader_ community that arch is meant to
facilitate.  It _has_, in fact, drawn in new arch users.  It _has_, in
fact, helped at least some people to critically examine the Big
Picture of how their labor as free software hackers relates to the
rest of their world.  It _has_, in fact, led to some handy recipe
exchanges, musical interest exchanges, and more.  I am against any
kind of sterilization of g-a-u content to race to the bottom of some
least common denominator level of content.

(And it _has_, in fact, pissed off or otherwise offended a sufficient
number of RH employees that they are, at least approximately,
self-excluded as a group from the arch community.  But that's a good
thing, in the long run.  Not because we don't want them in the
community -- we do -- but because this contradiction between where
they're at and where it makes sense for them to be is highlighted and
explicitly presented to them.   Most people don't like to be
hyporcites and making it harder for them to be so unconsciously is a
libertarian approach to helping them out of that state.)

2nd: the fedora flame is very far from off topic.  Technology (like
arch) and social organization and economic patterns (like fedora)
exist in a symbiotic relationship.   You can't fully grok why arch is
good unless you can relate that to why fedora sucks.   You shouldn't
resist wondering why anyone would design fedora in its current form if
they grokked arch.

I think this 'ol thing is what to aim for:

  http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/324/2002/11/0/10076413/

rather than fedora or UserLinux.

-t

----

Like my work on GNU arch, Pika Scheme, and other technical contributions
to the public sphere?   Show your support!

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=lord%40emf.net&item_name=support+for+arch+and+other+free+software+efforts+by+tom+lord&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD

and

address@hidden for www.moneybookers.com payments.