[Gnu-arch-users] Re: fedora core 2 will include subversion (and not gnu

From: Colin Walters
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: fedora core 2 will include subversion (and not gnu arch)
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 21:21:38 -0500

On Sun, 2004-02-22 at 21:06, Miles Bader wrote:
> Colin Walters <address@hidden> writes:
> > > The off-topic funkiness helps to build the kinds of _broader_
> > > community that arch is meant to facilitate.  It _has_, in fact,
> > > drawn in new arch users.
> >
> > Sure, but is that outweighed by the users who will stay away?  I suspect
> > in the long run it will be.
>
> Do you have any evidence of that?

Only some anecdotal evidence.  I can't prove anything from that of
course - that's why I prefixed my statement with "I suspect".  But I do
think it'll be true.

> There are be a few readers on this
> list who are notably ... prickly about such things, but I think every
> healthy active mailing list I'm on has quite a few off-topic threads --

Sure - but where the off-topic topic is always the same, and the person
initiating the off-topic discussion is always the same?

> What else is there?

Monotone and darcs, at least.  I think that arch is a more elegant and
usable design than both, but they do both have pretty much all of the
fundamental characteristics of distributed revision control.

> This assumes that the list is overwhelmed by `offtopic flamewars', at
> the expense of `real content' -- but that doesn't seem to be the case at
> all.

I agree there, right now the S/N ratio on this list is good.  I'd just
like to make sure it stays that way.