Re: [Gnu-arch-users] fedora core 2 will include subversion (and not gnu

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] fedora core 2 will include subversion (and not gnu arch)
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 14:43:43 -0800

On Feb 26, 2004, at 14:19, Brian May wrote:

What do people think of storing entire home directories in arch?

I store my ~/bin/ in arch, and a variety of what's in ~/prog. Oh, and all of my dot files (.vimrc, .vim/ .emacs, .cshrc, .completions, .aliases). Everything else is pretty much transient.

Apparently there are people already doing this with CVS (is this
really sane???), see:
<URL:http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=5976>

Another interesting candidate would be the /etc directory.

For /etc, I use a shell script that uses RCS and deals with all of the changes automatically on a variety of systems. It's terribly convenient when you're hacking around trying to get something done at three in the morning. I get a report the next morning telling me what all I did.

That's more of a reactive source control use than a proactive one. I like it nice and automatic, though. I forget its there until I get an email telling me something changed.

        Now, if I were building standard deployments, I might work differently.

--
Dustin Sallings