Re: [Gnu-arch-users] grokking arch

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] grokking arch
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 10:41:24 -0500

On Wed, 2004-03-24 at 20:16, Tom Lord wrote:

> For such an audience, the bottom-up approach strikes me as exactly
> right.   When sitting in such an audience, my hope is to come away
> with enough intuition about the system being discussed that, if
> stranded on a desert island, i'd be able to reinvent it from the hints
> provided.  That level of understanding of "what the thing does" makes
> me much more comfortable evaluating it.

Yeah.  It took me a long time actually to realize just how powerful the
changeset layer is, and how nicely everything builds from that.

> You hit "key ideas" very well.
>
> You would appear to be a very skilled speaker.
>
> These slides are _fantastic_.

Thanks very much :)  As far as I'm concerned they're dual-licensed under
the GPL and FDL, so feel free to do with them what you wish.

> BTW, you mentioned that your presentation of this was thwarted because
> of some BK licensing issue.

It's being investigated by legal people.

>  Are we to infer from this that BK is
> used internally at RH?

No, but several kernel developers employed by Red Hat use it, and
apparently there is a clause in the license that employees at a company
that uses it can't work on a competing system.  I plan to work around
this by just doing things in my spare time, which I have to do anyways
since working on arch isn't my job :)