Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Translation of tla

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Translation of tla
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 15:57:15 +0900

    Tom> The choices are:

    Tom>   a~ include gettext with the distribution
    Tom>   b~ rely on external gettext
    Tom>   c~ be able to use an external gettext if it is available

    Tom> I would go for c~ and maybe for a~ if gettext is very stable
    Tom> and not huge.

Gettext is quite stable.

The GNU gettext distribution is *very* bloated, the tar.gz is 6.5MB.
But I would estimate that auto* junk accounts for a couple MB
(unzipped) of it, examples (about 25 versions of GNU hello for
different programming languages and gooey environments) and po
(translation files) for most of the rest.

The gettext runtime code and API might be as little as 200kB of source
and documentation.

OTOH, it's probably available on every platform that arch is.  It's
standard on Mac OS X (GNU gettext), SunOS 5.8 (Sun version), and in
GNU libc, for the ones I can check offhand, and GNU mirrors supply
Windoze binaries.