Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some issues

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some issues
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 18:08:00 -0400

William Dode wrote:
> Why tar, diff and patch are not include inside tla ? It will avoid this kind
> of
> problem...

I've also considered the very same thing.

Granted, most anywhere-halfway-recent GNU operating system will have
exactly the diff and patch tools that arch needs,

However, as you move further away from that target (BSD, Solaris,
Cygwin, so forth and so on), you're less likely to see those tools
present. These days, the problem isn't so bad as I believe there's test
cases to make sure you've got a kosher set of diffutils, but back in the
bad old days there were gobs of problems with users using incompatible
tools.

Personally, I think we should package diffutils (and co) as part of
arch, even though the most pressing issues don't exist any more.
Considering libneon, I think a rational argument could be made to do
just this.

I'm not going to push that argument though. I think that anybody that
pushes that argument should be prepared for a large, and very vocal,
minority of arch users to start screaming bloody murder about "bloat".

My prediction is that many moons from now, somebody is going to write
those tools directly into arch, tuned to handle all of the problems that
you could expect to throw at it (binaries included).