Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some issues

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some issues
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 07:24:02 +0100

On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 07:40:18PM -0700, Tom Lord wrote:
>      > The inventory constructor, project tree checker, and changeset
>      > creation code are not fully synchronized. For example, it is
>      > possible to commit a changeset with an inconsistent inventory,
>      > which is also inconsistent as a result.
>
> Perhaps there is some bug of which you are aware that I am not?  If
> so, that's the kind of thing we simply fix and forget.  But otherwise,
> that does not sound like anything the arch I know and use does.

There's three of these outstanding that I'm aware of, and I think two
of them are now pending merges; they're all of the "tree-lint fails to
spot this bogus tree" variety. The oldest one is the "non-source file
with an explicit tag" problem; the latest is the "valid .orig/.rej
source file" problem (which is also the most obtuse of the lot,
because the reason for the failure is totally non-obvious when it
happens).

> The anticipated longevity of the design of arch is much, much larger
> than the longevity of ext2 and ext3 implementations.  If Hans doesn't
> blow ext2/3 away, someone else will in short order.

More likely that the ext2 changes which solve it (and which, AFAIK,
predate arch) will get into a release-candidate branch. The
significant distinction between ext2 and the other filesystems is that
ext2 has a more paranoid release process than "Publish features and
see who loses data". Small files are easy. Large files are much harder.

(ext3 is a subtle and really rather evil trick that generates a
journalling filesystem from a non-journalling one without actually
being a different filesystem, while still retaining competitive
performance).

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |