Re: [Gnu-arch-users] java port

From: Peter Conrad
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] java port
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:11:23 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 11:53:42AM +0200, David Bernard wrote:

> I found some mail about java wrapper/gui but no url or source code. What I
> would
> try is a port gnu-arch to java. Have got some time next month to work on it.
> My questions are :
> Someone or team already work on this port ?

I don't know, but I've been waiting for the integration of arch with
netbeans... :-) I'm glad to see someone is starting work on that.

> Have some doc/specification (I not fluant in C) where command are explain
> (what is done on under {arch} directory... ?
>
> Have you some advice ?

I've thought about Java integration of arch for a while, and I've come to
the conclusion that the best way to do it would be to write Java wrapper
classes that execute 'tla' and parse its output.

For one thing, using 'tla' is necessary for some operations (e. g. Java has
no portable support for modifying unix file permissions).

More important, though, is the fact that IMO the internal operations of tla
currently change much faster than tla's external interface. Following these
changes would probably much more difficult and error-prone than simply
relying on tla to do things properly.

For the integration into an IDE it might become necessary to cache some
of tla's output for efficiency reasons, but that'd become obvious at a
later stage, I suppose. I'd start simply by writing the tla wrapper and
build higher-level functionality based on that.

Bye,
        Peter
--
Peter Conrad                        Tel: +49 6102 / 80 99 072
[ t]ivano Software GmbH             Fax: +49 6102 / 80 99 071

Germany