Re: [Gnu-arch-users] java port

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] java port
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 22:14:31 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Andrew Suffield <address@hidden>

    > FWIW, I'm reasonably likely to do this [second implementation of
    > arch] next year sometime if nothing changes before then. I have
    > a fair few ideas about how I'd implement it in a completely
    > different fashion.

I'd like to hear more about that, at your leisure.

I'm wondering how much, as I finish furth, it'll be worth
reimplementing various parts in that context.

    > (Probably wind up pulling an egcs though knowing my luck, which will
    > leave us right back where we started)

Hmm.  That's an odd thing to say.

EGCS was a superficially friendly but underlyingly hostile fork and,
moreover, it _won_ --- killing and then assuming the name of GCC.

Sounds like you're talking about a superficially hostile but
underlyingly friendly alternative implementation which would either
"win" (in the sense that I'd switch) because it's unambiguously better
or, hopefully, just be a peer implementation with its own trade-offs
plus all the comfort that that should grant to users (having two tools
where before there was one).