Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism and happiness

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism and happiness
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 11:05:01 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: nadim <address@hidden>

    > > I'm not proposing to quash the topics -- just the threads, for now.

    > No way! Pierce and I almost found a common ground. He even promissed that
    > He'll answer a question frankly and directly before he dies.

Hey... i'm cool with that.   As I said, I'm not up-to-date on the
threads.  I don't want to interrupt something productive.

But.... how about ..... can you just decide to wrap it up soon?  For
now --- we can talk about these things in a fresh thread, without all
the baggage of the back and forths.   A rule of thumb is that starting
fresh helps people to formulate and express their ideas much, much
more clearly than a prolonged back-and-forth of quote-then-reply.

One thing I've learned from defending the design of arch on this list:

You can't possibly explain everything and get everyone to agree that
your explanations are right.   There will always be disagreements.

If you have some good ideas, you should post those from time to time,
definately.  But when the threads get too twisted to have a focussed
and widely read converstation, then they aren't productive for anyone.
You lose nearly nothing by just abandoning a "failed" thread and
taking up the topic later, in a different context.

    > There was one or two hot points but mainly because of missunderstnding
and
    > I hope things will get better (I can't promise I  won't get pissed off
    > though)

And, again, my context-free suggestion to "draw the line here" is
(deliberately) not sensitive to the content of the thread.  If there's
a few last licks or happy endings to work out here, great!  Go for it,
please.  But let's each of us, individually (I suggest) pick an
_arbitrary_ date in the very near future and then resolve: "Hey, I
don't care what anyone says after that.  I'm not in this thread
anymore.  I'll catch these guys in the next thread."

Silence in an email thread like this is _not_ equivalent to
capitulation or resignation.

    > I am still interresting in how fascism is gaining ground in the US (if it
    > is) because I believe that things happening there have
    > repercussions here.

Yes, that's one very interesting outcome of the threads, from my
perspective.   The Internet is very handy.

    > Most USians seem to think that we don't care about the cowboys land but
    > it's the oposit. We really do care because we think the US is an
important
    > player (unfortunately too long in the bad camp but that may change)

    > Cheers, Nadim

    > PS: I'm happy.

:-)

Thanks,