Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 19:40:06 +0900

>>>>> "nadim" == nadim  <address@hidden> writes:

    nadim> If people dislike you, you try to show a better face
    nadim> not nuke them.

I see.  That philosophy is undoubtedly why you post (in response to a
post of mine):

    nadim> I'd say the mistake was that some brainless people are born
    nadim> and unfortunately you mail would make me classify you as
    nadim> one of those.  Stupid answers like yours make a lot of
    nadim> people think you get what you deserve.

I am going to assume you're referring to 9-11, and that you just don't
have the nerve to come out and explicitly include yourself in "a lot
of people" at this point.  If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.

And then

    nadim> I see you in front of me, white fat, uncultivated with a
    nadim> gun or two in the truck. (hmm not nice but you do upset
    nadim> me).

But you "just can't help yourself", so you post that "not nice"
sentence anyway.  You get Fs in diplomacy and better-face-showing.

    nadim> If the above is your paranoid solution to make your
    nadim> country better, then you'll get what you build for
    nadim> yourself.

It's not my "solution", it's a random dream.  But I agree, we'll (all)
get what we build for ourselves.  It would be nice if you'd help
build, instead of just tearing down because you can't get everything
you want Right Now.

Yes, I know ... some of what you want is that people won't die
pointlessly and horribly in the next ten seconds, and if you don't get
that right now, something very sad is going to happen.  That makes me
very sad, and frustrated, too, because I can't do a damn thing about
it.  Nor the next ten seconds either.  Must I go on, ten seconds at a
time, or post PNGs of what I'm talking about, to prove I know what
you're talking about?

Or can we start building for next year, maybe even next month, which
we probably _can_ do something about?  Starting with converting
Pierce?  ;-)

    nadim> What is it that makes USians bloody brainless when it comes
    nadim> to judge their own actions?

The same humanity that makes you incapable of responding to anything
but your own anger and pain, I would guess.  It's easy, though mostly
useless, to criticize, and you have the excuse that you are otherwise
powerless for posting nothing constructive yourself.  But you're going
to have to get over it, or assume the guilt that goes with inaction.

    nadim> I'm sorry to say so but you show too much intelectual
    nadim> cowardness.

What would be brave?  To meekly agree with you, vote for Nader in the
fall, and then weep "but this isn't what I wanted!" when Kerry invades
Iran or North Korea, and real nukes fly?  Screw that, Nadim.  I want
to help make things better, not a clean conscience when they get worse.

    nadim> PS: Sorry for the tone but your kind of mail just make me
    nadim> wish you get more "mistakes" in the states

You've now expressed approval of pointless terrorist acts of mass
murder twice.  Do you see what you are revealing about humanity?

_Think_.  Then act on what you discover.

    nadim> so you start understand what misery you put many people in
    nadim> with your heartless egocentric pseudo greatness.

If 9-11 had worked that way, I'd have to think about there maybe being
a point to it.  But there's ample evidence that the great majority of
Americans are _just like you_ with respect to their own misery.  They
want to impose more on somebody else, no matter what justice demands.

If you are really the intellectual hero you present yourself as,
you'll try to grok that.  "Just like you" in this particular way.

What I'm trying to do is find ways for Americans to break the vicious
cycle of revenge you are _perpetuating_ in your fantasies.  You're
welcome to help on your side, but you're right---most of the work has
to be done by America, which has some filthy habits to break.  I wish
I could believe that your style of name-calling would do it, but I
can't.

Whew.  Re-reading that, it's obvious you really got to me.  No false
apologies, but you can have ten bonus points for the next round.