Re: [Gnu-arch-users] OT: trained dependency

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] OT: trained dependency
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 13:45:32 -0500

On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 02:35:29AM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>     Talli> i think that would probably be an impossible number
>
> I think all the numbers given by Zenaan are impossible.  The US has
> historically kept rather poor statistics.

I've seen similar numbers bandied about on slashdot (by the libertarian
presidential candidate, I think!), and in that case, they seemed to be based
on U.S. census data.

I don't know offhand how the census was done in the 1800s, but I wouldn't be
surprised if it were biased in favor of population centers and the literate
population -- especially with regard to detailed data above a simple
population count -- and so would tend to show an artificially high literacy
rate.

-Miles
--
If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten.  [George Carlin]