Re: [Gnu-arch-users] OT: trained dependency

From: Stéphane Payrard
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] OT: trained dependency
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 00:11:00 +0100

On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 08:12:20AM +1100, Zenaan Harkness wrote:

[snipped]

> And here's the website for Gatto's works:
> http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/
>
> Quote from that page: "Perhaps the greatest of school's illusions is
> that the institution was launched by a group of kindly men and women who
> wanted to help the children of ordinary families?to level the playing
> field, so to speak."
>
> cheers
> zen

Deschooling society
(http://www.preservenet.com/theory/Illich/Deschooling/intro.html)
and other Ivan Illich works/utopies  are interesting even if we
are going everyday farther (further?) in the opposite direction.

He was also in favor on products that could be tuned and repared
by end users. This is a the case in Africa where they got very
old european cars. In a few years, getting the stuff we don't
want will not even be of any use to them.

Apart free software, there is not much we can tinker freely. And
salers of content may end that anyday by obliging to lock the
next generation of computers. Or computer manufacturers
discover that specialized gizmos with firmaware can sale in
fasters cycles than open computers.

--
 stef