Re: [Gnu-arch-users] OT: trained dependency

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] OT: trained dependency
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 11:57:02 +1100

> he means to say that most of us are capable of DOING
> things at a far earlier age than we generally admit.

I am very interested to hear your thoughts again when you have read a
substantial bit more...

> "When I was a schoolboy in Monongahela, I learned with
> a shock that the men who won our Revolution were
> barely out of high school by the standards of my time:
> But: does all this apply to the majority of us?

Does it not?

And please don't generalize - as in, are you personally a barely-
literate-capable schlub who needed 12 or more years of schooling to hope
for a decent trade or secretarial or managerial job?

Is your confidence in yourself already so beaten so as to believe the
lie that you'd be incompetent and likely beneath-the-law if you hadn't
been schooled? Is there no possibility that you would be that much
_more_ capable, learned, world-wise, widely read and energetically
seeking the depths of your own humanity, had you had, instead of endless
years of compulsory confinement schooling, a diverse upbringing with a
wealth of real-life experiences and interactions?

---

As to revolutions, speaking as an Australian citizen, things are _way_
too materially comfortable in Australia for a revolution to be anywhere
near our doorstep, I'd say for at least the next 15 years. Kind of why
as a population we are all too willing to take our civil liberties up
the ass with the anti-terror legislation we copped post-9/11 (we can now
be locked up indefinitely without access to a phone call or lawyer, we
can be questioned and searched without a warrant, and our community
groups can be arbitrarily "deemed" by the Governor General as terrorist
organizations, and after which, even without us knowing this fact, if we
continue to associate with that organization, we are automatically a
terrorist. Welcome to Australia^B Guantanamo Bay). Up the coit? With a
fuckin pineapple!)