Re: [Gnu-arch-users] OT: trained dependency

From: Frank Pohlmann
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] OT: trained dependency
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 00:32:09 +0000 (GMT)

I am reading Gatto. Interesting and certainly
provocative, but it would take a few years to
substantiate his findings.

Nevertheless, I would not agree that even the free
population of the US pre-1850 was terribly educated. I
think the point he is making is rather different.

he means to say that most of us are capable of DOING
things at a far earlier age than we generally admit.

"When I was a schoolboy in Monongahela, I learned with
a shock that the men who won our Revolution were
barely out of high school by the standards of my time:
Hamilton was twenty in the retreat from New York;
Burr, twenty-one; Light Horse Harry Lee, twenty-one;
Lafayette, nineteen. What amounted to a college class
rose up and struck down the British empire, afterwards
helping to write the most sophisticated governing
documents in modern history."

How true. Similarly, the French revolution was led by
fairly young men and its generals were ridiculously
young. Li Hung-Chang, the leader of the Taiping revolt
in China was in his twenties and not exactly an
educated man when he almost brought down the Qing
dynasty. His most important general was an illiterate
genius.

But: does all this apply to the majority of us?

-Frank

http://www.preservenet.com/theory/Illich/Deschooling/intro.html