Re: [Gnu-arch-users] OT: trained dependency

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] OT: trained dependency
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 15:33:20 +0900

    Zen> "A Free Market in education expenditure - putting the
    Zen> teacher/education purchasing power back into the hands of
    Zen> parents."

I'm sorry, that's not a "proposal."  A proposal says where the money
comes from, where it goes, what the schedule is, who owns things, who
runs things, what you do about the inevitable swath of bankruptcies as
competition does its thing, how you deal with the inevitable fraud and
corruption, safety net for the children involved in the snafus, etc.

Not to mention warning the rest of society about how it is about to
get badly torqued as educational standards and processes change.

    Zen> I thought I'd already described that.

Think again.  I believe in the magic of the market.  I'm a priest of
that religion, if you like.  But even a magician has to _prepare_ his
potions and spells.

    Zen> "Free market" I am confident is up to the task - the reason
    Zen> being, I believe in the ability of parents and even even
    Zen> children (once they reach a certain level of education) to 1)
    Zen> be able to determine (over the medium to long term) what
    Zen> works and 2) be self interested enough to ensure this
    Zen> actually happens.

Are you forgetting just how crippled you've been saying we all are?
And the vast majority lacks the advantages that you and I have.  The
transition is going to be a major snafu, unless we plan carefully.