Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: darcs vs tla

From: John A Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: darcs vs tla
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 12:31:23 -0600

John A Meinel wrote:
John Goerzen wrote:

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 12:10:06PM -0500, Aaron Bentley wrote:

[...]

It's committing, and having everything preserved.  With Arch, it's:

1. A lot of work to tag something to a local repo, do all of that crap,
then merge it back later, and finally commit it back later

2. This approach loses the diffs for each individual commit that was
done, at least in the master repository.

-- John

Just to clarify, this is what you could do.

$ tla get $REMOTE wd
$ cd wd
 go offline
 hack hack hack

 Oops I want to commit and I'm offline:

$ tla-branch-this $LOCAL  #This is the aba/fai command 'aba branch-this'
$ tla commit
 hack hack
$ tla commit
 hack hack
$ tla commit

 Come back online

$ cd ..
$ tla get $REMOTE rem_wd
$ cd rem_wd
$ tla-pure-merge $LOCAL

Is that very difficult compared with what you do in darcs? Yes, tla doesn't have this built-in, but it is pretty easy to layer this functionality on top. And if you convince Tom, you probably could get a 'tla pure-merge' command that would do the same thing.

The only thing I really see failing is that 'tla-branch-this' may fail in disconnected mode. I don't know if you can tag without being able to access the archive. Though I would guess when Aaron's cache stuff get's sorted out, this would not be a problem.

John
=:->

PS> The script could probably use a 'set -e' in the beginning so it
    doesn't just keep going after a failure.
    And it might be better to do something like 'tla replay $p' instead
    of using 'tla star-merge $p', I'm not positive on all the details.
    Your comment that the length of what you have to type does still
    hold, but I might point you to any of the front-ends which generally
    have support for aliases. I personally use aba (fai doesn't run on
    cygwin yet.). It comes with branch-this, would be really
    easy to add pure-merge, and has pretty good aliases support.