[Gnu-arch-users] Re: darcs vs tla

From: Matthew Palmer
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: darcs vs tla
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 12:55:51 +1100

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 01:31:08AM +0000, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> I was reading today how on large software projects, coding can be 15% of
> the effort:
>
> http://www.ifpug.com/Articles/estimating.htm

Note, however, that a large part of the Design stuff really needs to be done
by someone who has some clue about the target language.  Sure, anyone with
the necessary general skills can go about working out general algorithms and
data structures, but the "how are we going to actually do this" comes down
to language choice.  Not that that necessarily kills your basic thesis -- that
just because you choose a niche language doesn't mean that you'll get no
community -- I'm just refuting your statistic that only 15% of a project
requires knowledge of the implementation language.

Also, that graph isn't meant to be exhaustive, merely illustrative: "It
would be important to develop ratios for your own organisation".  "can be"
usually means "isn't".

Having just read through that article, I'm slightly irritated by the fact
that most of his numbers appear to be rectally-sourced.  I only got past the
first graph because I wanted to see where your 15% number came from... <g>

- Matt