Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Removing the last changeset(s) from the archive

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Removing the last changeset(s) from the archive
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 16:01:39 -0500

John Meinel wrote:
Karl O. Pinc wrote:

it's not exactly true that I want the trees in the archive to
work.  It's more like I want them to be mental checkpoints.
Done with this part, check. Done with that, check.  Goofing
up a commit violates this mental model.

I think you've just described the difference between a dev tree, and a stable tree.

While this is related to the idea of distrinct trees, I think it's actually something else. It's a good idea to avoid mixing unrelated changes. I think Tom calls it "clean changesets". With clean changesets, you can replay the bugfix from devel into your stable tree, without merging the rest until it's ready.

This is one of the reasons I came up with "fai revert --hunks". It lets me temporarily remove unrelated changes from a file, commit, "tla redo", and continue.

arch makes creating and maintaining concurrent branches very easy. Might as well put that to good use.

Yeah, we certainly do.  At work, there's

1. current release
2. current build (based on 1, but with different build paramerters)
3. next release
4. my devel
5. other developer's devel.

When the other developer commits a bugfix, it gets merged like this:
5 -> 1 -> 2 and 5 -> 1 -> 3 -> 4

Aaron