Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Removing the last changeset(s) from the archive

From: John Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Removing the last changeset(s) from the archive
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 14:25:36 -0600

Karl O. Pinc wrote:

[...]

Maybe that's what I should mean.  In general I just go on and
finish fixing whatever I was working on (the larger problem)
and commit when I get that working and then the archive again
has a working revision.

Reverse/sync-tree/commit looks like it would be the right way to keep
the latest revision in the archive 'working' as often as possible.

That the moment my archive is not shared so I don't care whether the
latest revision works all the time or not.  My thoughts are that
it'd be nice to be able to keep an archive where _all_ the
revisions work, which leads me to want to 'un-commit'.  Although
it's not exactly true that I want the trees in the archive to
work.  It's more like I want them to be mental checkpoints.
Done with this part, check. Done with that, check.  Goofing
up a commit violates this mental model.

Karl <address@hidden>
                 -- Robert A. Heinlein

I think you've just described the difference between a dev tree, and a stable tree.

Committing to a stable tree should involve quite a bit of thought, and checking to make sure everything is correct. For me, a dev tree is just that. Something where I'm doing development, and don't even make the guarantee that it will compile.

I might be a little unique in this, since I tend to work from multiple machines, and I use revision control to move between them (used to use CVS, now arch). So frequently not only are my programs broken, but they won't even compile. But that's why there is a dev branch, and a mainline/stable branch. For a lot of my stuff, there is only a dev branch, because it's not worth the overhead of stable if I'm the only one using it.

But if you really want "this tree is always good", you probably want something more like a stable branch, rather than trying to do that with your dev branch.

arch makes creating and maintaining concurrent branches very easy. Might as well put that to good use.

John
=:->