Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: How to rename a category?

From: Michaeljohn Clement
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: How to rename a category?
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 08:09:13 -0700

On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 08:02:32AM +0100, Matthieu Moy wrote:
I don't have any desire to change history,

Yes you do.

No I don't. :)

Maybe this is a subtle point, but I really /don't/ want to change history. What I /do/ want to do is to rename a category, and then re-use the original name. The fact that the archive namespace is immutable is an aspect of arch which apparently makes it difficult or impossible to get the result I want /without/ changing history. If I have to change history to get the result I want, I may be willing to go for it, but that's not my desire.

Expect a LOT of problems if you try to do this.

If I do it right (i.e. if the archive looks just like it would have had the name "foo" never been used) I can't see why there would be any problems. I know for a fact that no-one else has ever tagged, branched, or even seen category foo, so if I blow away my working directories and revision libraries everything would be fine. Whether it's worth the trouble is another question.

Michaeljohn