Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: darcs vs tla

From: John A Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: darcs vs tla
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 12:02:30 -0600

Mark Stosberg wrote:
On 2004-11-17, John A Meinel <address@hidden> wrote:

I just had a weird experience with the "portability" of darcs. I went to check out the Carpet repository (just to play around with darcs)
http://www.carpetcode.org/get-carpet-darcs.html

I then added a line to the readme, and used "darcs diff". It started scrolling tons of changes by.

I think it decided that the line endings were different.

Sounds likely.
I believe some are already working on enhanced line-ending handling for
darcs.
    Mark

I did some web searches and found some comments on "what should we do". That the repository should always store LF, and the working dir could be CRLF type of thing.

tla punts the decision by saying files are binary, and if you made it as CRLF, then it is stored that way, if you create it as LF, it is stored that way.

I prefer it because CVS has screwed up lots of files that I've used by not doing this. (Checking a CRLF under linux, check it out under windows, big mess. Check in a binary file and forget to set the binary bit, corrupted).

I would prefer darcs to do this, but I think a lot of people thing the CVS way is better.

Whatever, so long as just checking out a tree doesn't cause every file to be marked as changed. I find it odd that this exists in the 1.0 release. Especially because darcs makes a big note about it being cross-platform compatible.

John
=:->